Here is a list of the features I think we MUST HAVE for the next generation of communications:
- An open standard that can be implemented on the server and client side.
- The ability to seamlessly transition between text-chat to voice-call to video-call as needed.
- Persistent sessions that may span days or long periods of time.
- Transferable sessions that can be transferred from one agent to another (on either end). A session is much like a technical support “case” that can be handed off.
- Archiving capability (on either end) for service monitoring, legal compliance, or personal records.
Once these are standardized and in place, I believe the telecommunications industry will go through one of the largest transformations in it’s 150 year history.